How do tasks work?
Unlike events, which bracket off a specific length of time for an activity, a task is a more general to-do that you need to check off on (or before!) its due date. If you fail to check off and complete the task by its due date, the task becomes overdue and shows up with a bright orange tag on its owner’s Workspace to remind them to get caught up.
Tasks can be created much like calendar events, using the “New task” button in the left page menu while viewing the calendar. All you need to enter is a name, to whom the task is assigned (if you have multiple users), a description (optional), and a due date. Tasks will show up in the gray header of the weekly calendar view, above any events. If you have multiple users set up with calendar-sharing permissions, you will also see other users’ tasks, provided you’ve turned on their calendar using the checkboxes in the page menu.
You can also create tasks from a variety of other places in the system. From any page in the CRM, you can mouse over Calendar in the navigation bar and select "New task" from the menu. On a contact or company’s profile, you can attach a task using the link in the page menu, which will automatically link that task with the contact in question, displaying it at the top of that record’s profile. When you attach or edit a pipeline (e.g., a Lead), you can generate tasks right from the editing form, making it more efficient to remind yourself or a teammate to stay on top of a particular process. Just click the “Add a task” link while creating or editing the pipeline item.
Once your task is set, you can see it in a number of places to make sure it doesn't slip through the cracks:
- Daily and overdue tasks appear in the left column of the workspace.
- A certain day's tasks will appear on its due date in the Calendar, just above the day's events. (You'll need to make sure the "Show tasks" option in the Calendar page menu is checked!).
- Tasks linked to a particular contact or company will show up in that record's attached items. If the task was already completed, you'll see it in that record's history.
- Your task report will be your go-to when you want to look at all of your tasks in general -- just hover over Reports in the navigation bar and click on Task Report. The filtering section in the task report's page menu lets you manipulate the results to see different sets of tasks -- incomplete vs. complete, future vs. current or past tasks, or everything all at once.
- If you're receiving your daily agenda email, you'll be reminded of tasks that are due that day or overdue from a previous day so you know exactly what's on your plate!